Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Fair is HERE!!!!

The Kansas State Fair is in town!!! And I am a self-proclaimed State Fair junkie! It probably has to do with all the years I spent in 4-H....but anyways, I am so excited. I was driving in town today and there was a ton of traffic with people bringing in tractors, concrete displays, animals, and all kinds of cool things! The atmosphere of it all is soo intoxicating!

Now for those of you who have never been to a State Fair (or even if you have), there is nothing like the Kansas State Fair. (At least in my opinion.) The place is like it's own city for 10 days. There are over 1,000 exhibitor booths, and 300+ food booths and that doesn't include exhibit entries! Such as the things the 4-Hers bring and don't forget Open Class! There are foods, clothing, photography, arts and crafts and etc, etc. It's awesome! lol...I know I am a little obsessed...but I want you to understand that this is not just some little State Fair; this is a huge event! I've been lucky enough to see if from many aspects. As a 4-H fair participant, on FACS bowl teams, and as a exhibit participant. I've also worked in several food booths over the years as well. It is quite exciting to have been able to see all these different aspects of the fair...and it's probably why I like it so much. :)
In the past, I have been known to be at the State Fair 8 out of the 10 days! In recent years, it hasn't been nearly that much...but this year I decided to try my cooking skills again and enter the food's open class. So I am sharing with you what I made. And if you are at the fair, be sure to look and see if you can find my cookies! Have fun!

Buried Cherry Chocolate Cookies

1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Halve any large cherries. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.

2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center of each ball. Place a cherry in each center.

3. For frosting, in a small saucepan combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice. Spoon 1 tsp. frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover. (If necessary, frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice.)
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment